Week One: Introductions


Hello all!

I am Emily Sleezer, a senior at the University of Central Florida majoring in History and minoring in American Studies. I was born and raised in West Palm Beach, Florida and initially attended the Florida State University after graduating high school in 2016. My college career has had many twists and turns in the last five years, but I am happy to have finally found my fit here at UCF in Orlando. This blog will be documenting my internship with UCF's Veterans History Project (VHP), but more on that in a bit. 

Although I have taken a couple different majors for a spin at different points in the last few years, I have always found my way back to history. Looking back, I should have never doubted pursuing this major. As many fellow history majors would say, I always had a strong interest in history more than any of my other classes ever since middle school. I've always loved to hear other people's stories and lived experiences, and see how that impacted things later on for them, or how a whole community or country, on a broader scale, were impacted by different events. This is why the VHP is the most ideal internship for me.

Beyond knowing I wanted to study history, and focus in American history, I was at a loss for a while. When I would consider going for a master's degree, I would be most nervous at not knowing a more specific field or topic to specialize in. This past spring that all changed. One of the courses I just had the utmost pleasure of being in, helped me find an area of research I am very interested in and passionate about - veterans' history and biographies. Dr. Lyons was the professor I had for this course, and she led me to the VHP, where I am now fortunate to work with Dr. Gannon and Ms. Rivera. In the course I took, I conducted genealogical and military research on my assigned veteran, as well as secondary research to place his individual story into the broader context of World War II, and the involvement of Florida in this conflict as well. If I am able to continue onto a master's program after graduating, I would like to conduct similar research but for African American veterans from the Vietnam War.

I am looking forward to gaining more skills and experience in researching, as well as in conducting and executing interviews through my internship this summer. I hope it helps me hone in even more on my goals for the future, whether that be in a career or furthering my education. 

Comments